Please note: The green tea plants links are offered here as a convenience but are not sold through this site.
Please direct all tea plant inquiries to their customer service contacts on the sites.
You can get tea seeds and/or plants here:
To make Green Tea from your own plants:
1. Pinch off the sweet young buds and leaves off the tea plant
2. Gently pat them dry, you do not want to bruise them!
3. Place them on cheesecloth to set in the shade for about 8 hours.
4. Now take the tea leaves and buds and place them on a covered rack over hot boiling water to steam them. This should take about 1-2 minutes.
5. To dry the tea leaves, place them on a baking sheet and place in an oven at 200 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes.
6. Place the dried tea leaves in an air tight container for future use.
7. Want to get creative and try different oxidation processes for different flavors, try placing the leaves in a dry large skillet for 2-3 minutes or place on a rack over an outdoor grill with different smoked woods!
8. Now you have created your own loose leaf green tea!
To make White Tea from your own plants:1. Pinch of the tender sweet young buds and leaves off the tea plant.
2. Take the outside leaf off and remove the bud for the rest of the process.
3. Spread them out on a single layer on a towel. Place under the direct sun for about 3 days. You can bring them indoors in a well ventilated area bright room for 3 days of that is easier for you.
4. To dry the tea leaves, place them on a baking sheet and place in an oven at 170 to 200 degrees for 1 hour.
5. Place the dried tea leaves in an air tight container for future use.
6. You can allow the leaves to dry naturally over a few more days for a different flavor experience.
7. It must be noted that white tea harvested in the fall is said to be the best. Summer harvest for white tea is to be of lower quality.